1. Swaddling works wonders for newborns
Swaddling is a great way to ensure that you are taking one of the first steps to help your baby get some sound sleep. This is important especially till they are about four to five months because it is during these developmental stages that babies possess an innate startle reflex.
This makes them feel as if they are falling, even in their sleep, and the jerking reflex movements wake them up. As such, keeping babies swaddled just tightly enough prevent these movements, thus making him/her a more secure sleeper.
2. Don’t make eye contact while putting the baby to sleepWhen you are putting your baby to sleep, make sure not to make eye contact. You may want to adore their cute little face but this will only make it difficult for them to fall asleep.
When you make eye contact, your baby’s heart rate increases and blood pressure rises, which only make them more awake.
You can gaze into their eyes during the day and adore them all you want. Besides, doing so helps in developing a strong bond.
3. Keep the room warmer during the day and cooler at night
Just like adults, babies sleep better in friendly temperatures. So, make sure to keep the room warmer during the day and cooler at night. Experts suggest that the ideal room temperature for babies to sleep soundly is between 65 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. If there is no thermostat, you can turn on the fan at a low speed or keep the window slightly open.
4. Make use of white noise or nature sounds
With the right kind of sound, your baby can become a really secure sleeper. While there shouldn’t be loud sound or music, there shouldn’t be pin-drop silence either. Babies love a strong, rhythmic sound because this is what they are used to even when they were in the uterus. So, make use of white noise or nature sounds. You can either use a white noise machine or go on YouTube and play calming and relaxing nature sounds for your baby to fall asleep to.
5. Make sure to provide a cozy space for sleeping
The space in which your baby sleeps in plays an important role in the quality of sleep he/she gets. A cozy and comfortable sleeping spot can work wonders so invest in some quality bedside sleeper or sleeper bassinet. When your baby sleeps closer to you, they feel safer, and as such, sleep better. Besides, a sleeper bassinet provides a cozy and enclosed space that makes the baby feel even safer. A cozy time sleeper is a great option for all babies.
6. A quick massage before sleepAn important part of childcare is making sure that your baby gets enough quality sleep, so he/she feels relaxed and rested. A great way to achieve this is by giving them a calming bedtime massage. Studies have found that when you give a baby just 15 minutes of massaging before putting them to sleep, they can fall asleep faster and experience improved sleep quality. Make sure to use baby-safe oil and use slow, gentle strokes with moderate pressure.
7. Have a set bedtime routine
Just like how adults sleep better when they have a bedtime routine they follow regularly, babies sleep better too with a routine. For example, if you give your baby an evening bath before bedtime, then their body knows it’s time for sleep. Besides, just the warm water itself can relax the muscles, making your baby drowsy and relaxed and all ready for bed. Having a set routine that you follow daily can result in a better quality of sleep, as shown by many studies.
8. Cut down your caffeine intakeThis is important for breastfeeding mothers. If you consume too much caffeine, then it enters your baby’s system too, making it more difficult for them to fall asleep. So, make sure that you cut down your intake of coffee, soda, and other caffeinated products because these can turn up in your breast milk. Besides, caffeine affects babies more aggressively than adults as it stays in their system for a much longer period, that is, for about 96 hours.
Love N Care understands all the troubles parents have to face routinely when they travel with their children. This is why we are committed to improving our strollers and other products every single day.
Check out our product range here: www.lovencare.com.au/shop